That said I was nervous about leaving. Russ spent the last 10 days fixing the turbo (which meant removing the thing from our engine and reattaching it, something he's never done before) AND installed a new throttle system. Again, something he'd never done before.
So we tested. While tied to the dock we do engine checks: Engines start (yay), no leaks (yay!). Disengage throttles from the props and test idle forward on starboard (check) and backward (check). Repeat for the port side -- everything checks out! Now engage props, check starboard forward (yep) and backward (yep). Now port, NOPE. Boat should move one way, but moves the other, and the small panel fills with angry, blinking lights.
|Russ working on the starboard engine.|
That's the unmounted turbo in his hands.
Retest port side, and yep, all working correctly. Yay for Russ!
Lines off, and we started out. I manipulated inQuest away from the dock and started to back into the Hudson. Given the current and wind were against us I put some oomf into it...
|Shiny new throttles... oooOOOoooo|
|There's a tiny turtle on this log.|
In fact, while here we saw herons, bald eagles,
and a seal. Quite the nature respite.
Tied up we turned the engines off and Russ started sleuthing through the documents. He had done it before, but must have missed something. The idle ("slow bell") speeds worked just fine. The problem was when we put pushed harder. (Again, I have no clue WHAT is going on but...)
Editors note: He flipped 4 dip switches, 2 in the port control unit and 2 in the starboard.... go figure).
|In addition to the turbo and throttles, Russ|
installed a new horn and search light.
And repaired his bike. He's never bored.
We cast off. This time we made it to the Albany Yacht Club (where we pumped out and fueled up), to the Troy Lock (where we locked through after waiting 15 minutes standing station), then sidled onto the wall at Waterford. All fiddly things that require throttles you can rely on.
And they worked just fine.